Back to top

Carlisle Public Square, Carlisle, Pennsylvania, northwest corner, winter 1860-1861, detail

Scanned by: 
Cumberland County Historical Society
Notes: 
Sized, cropped, and adjusted for use here by John Osborne, Dickinson College, January 28, 2011.
Image type: 
photograph
Courtesy of: 
Cumberland County Historical Society, Carlisle, PA
Original caption: 
View of the northwest corner of the Public Square taken on W. High Street. The three story stone building on the right is the Washington Hotel, owned by Henry Glass from April 1859 until it burned in April of 1861. The church in the background is St. John's Episcopal Church. The tower was built during the fall and winter of 1860-61. The row of buildings to the right is known as Irvine's Row.
Source citation: 

Photograph Collection, Cumberland County Historical Society

Source note: 
Cropped from larger image, also available here.
The original of this image is held in the Cumberland County Historical Society in Carlisle, Pennsylvania.  Please include this in your citation. Should higher resolution copies be required for any reason, please contact the Photograph Curator directly at the Cumberland County Historical Society or visit their archives.  The House Divided Project at Dickinson College is grateful for the partnership and assistance of the Society. 
How to Cite This Page: "Carlisle Public Square, Carlisle, Pennsylvania, northwest corner, winter 1860-1861, detail," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, http://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/node/35813.