Fanning's Illustrated Gazetteer of the United States.... (New York: Phelps, Fanning & Co., 1853), 65.
CAMDEN COUNTY, situated at the southeast part of Georgia, on the northerly side of St. Mary's river, and separated from the ocean by Cumberland island. Area, 700 square miles. Face of the country flat; soil sandy, and in some places marshy. Seat of justice, Jeffersonton. Pop. in 1820, 3,402; in 1830, 4,578; in 1840, 6,075; in 1850, 6,319.