Back to top

Union naval landing parties retake Chandeleur Island in Louisiana off the mouth of the Mississippi

Chandeleur Island Lighthouse, Louisiana, 1856
09/16/1861
The Chandeleur Island Lighthouse, rebuilt in 1855, was an important guide to navigation in the Gulf of Mexico at the mouth of the Mississippi River.  Confederate forces took control early in the war but landing parties from the United States warships. Massachusetts, Preble, and Marion retook the islands, installed batteries and relit the lighthouse.  The light was the first the Union recaptured in the Gulf of Mexico.  The islands suffered severely during Hurricane Catrina in 2005 and the modern lighthouse was completely destroyed.  (By John Osborne)
Source Citation: 
Chronicles of the Great Rebellion Against the United States of America (Philadelphia, PA: A. Winch, 1867), 12.

Tabs

How to Cite This Page: "Union naval landing parties retake Chandeleur Island in Louisiana off the mouth of the Mississippi," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, http://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/node/37874.