In Seattle, the University of the Territory of Washington holds its first classes with thirty students
The University of the Territory of Washington opened its doors on a ten acre site with one academic building, a dormitory, and the president's house, home of first president Daniel Bagley. Thirty students were in attendance taught by two professors. Seattle was then a town of not much than two hundred people and the growth of the institution was slow. Thriving by 1895, the university moved to its present location and the old campus swallowed up into central Seattle. (By John Osborne)
Carol J. Summerfield, Mary Elizabeth Devine, eds., International Dictionary of University Histories (Chicago, IL: Fitzroy Dearborn Publishers, 1998), 676.