St. Paul Catholic Church on Christian and Tenth Street in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania was almost completely destroyed in a devastating fire that left only the walls remaining. The parish and the building had been started in 1843 and the church dedicated on July 4, 1847 by Bishop Francis Patrick Kenrick. Ironically, it had been threatened by fire while it was being constructed, during the anti-Catholic riots in the city in 1844, but protected by troops. The church was rebuilt and the parish still operates in South Philadelphia. (By John Osborne)
Joseph Louis J. Kirlin, Catholicity in Philadelphia (Philadelphia, PA: John Joseph McVey, 1909), 449.