In Philadelphia, John Wanamaker and Nathan Brown open their first store on Market Street
At six-thirty in the morning, partners John Wanamaker and Nathan Brown opened a mens' and boys' clothing store on the ground floor of a building known as "Oak Hall" on the corner of Sixth and Market Streets in Philadelphia. This 30 foot by eighty foot shop was to evolve into the giant Wanamaker Stores empire. The expanded store moved from Oak Hall to the new "Grand Depot" at Thirteenth and Market on May 6, 1876. There the whole block was secured and in June 1910 a completely new two-million square foot store opened, facing Chestnut Street. (By John Osborne)
Joseph Herbert Appel, John Wanamaker (Firm), Leigh Mitchell Hodges, Golden Book of the Wanamaker Stores: Jubilee Year, 1861-1911 (Philadelphia: John Wanamaker, 1911), 26.