On Fifth Avenue in New York City, the Delmonico Brothers open their third establishment
Swiss immigrant restaurateurs John and Peter Delmonico opened their third dining rooms in New York City on Fifth Avenue at East 14th Street. The brothers had opened their first sucessful establishment on South William Street in 1837 and another at Chambers Street and Broadway in 1856. This branch moved up Fifth Avenue to 24th Street in September 1876. The brothers sold their last family owned restaurant in 1919. (By John Osborne)
"Delmonico's New Restaurant," New York Times, April 7, 1862.