The cornerstone is laid for the new buildings of Chicago's University of St. Mary's of the Lake
In an impressive afternoon ceremony, the cornerstone of the new building of the University of St. Mary's of the Lake was laid in Chicago. The procession numbered around 8000 members of groups from all around the Chicago Archdiocese. Four bishops participated in the cementing of the cornerstone and Bishop Thomas Rosencrans spoke. St. Mary's had opened its doors as a seminary in 1846. It was forced to close in 1866 due to finances but reopened in 1921. (By John Osborne)
"University of St. Mary's of the Lake: Laying of the Cornerstone," Chicago Tribune, May 26, 1863, p. 4.