Back to top

In Carlisle, Pennsylvania, Confederate troops occupy a town familiar to some of their officers

Benz House (formerly Farmers' Hotel), East High Street, Carlisle, Pennsylvania, circa 1873
06/27/1863 to 06/29/1863
Confederate cavalry under General A.G. Jenkins entered the town of Carlisle in mid-morning, demanded provisions, and then moved on towards Harrisburg.  A few hours later units of the Second Corps infantry of General Richard Ewell arrived and bivouacked in the town at the Barracks and on the grounds of Dickinson College, places well known to many of the officers who knew Carlisle from their days at the Cavalry School or as undergraduates. (By John Osborne)  
Source Citation: 
Jacob Hoke, The Great Invasion of 1863 or General Lee in Pennsylvania ... (Dayton, OH: W.J. Shuey, 1887), 173. 
How to Cite This Page: "In Carlisle, Pennsylvania, Confederate troops occupy a town familiar to some of their officers," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, http://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/node/40021.