Back to top

President Lincoln departs Gettysburg for Washington after a brief service at the Presbyterian church

The Lincoln Pew, Presbyterian Church, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, circa 1914
11/19/1863
Following the conclusion of the dedication of the new Soldiers' Cemetery in Gettysburg and a late lunch with Governor Curtin, President Lincoln walked arm-in-arm with John Burns, the town's battlefield hero, down the street from the Wells House to attend part of a patriotic service at the Presbyterian Church in the town. Leaving the gathering early to catch his train, the president and his party finally left Gettysburg at around six o'clock and returned to Washington, D.C.. (By John Osborne)
Source Citation: 
H. Orton Carmichael, Lincoln's Gettysburg Address (New York: Abingdon Press, 1917), 77-78.