Back to top

In Philadelphia, the new Municipal Hospital for Contagious Diseases is officially dedicated

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, circa 1860, zoomable image
04/27/1865
The new Municipal Hospital for Contagious Diseases was officially opened on a ten-acre site at Twenty-Second and Lehigh Avenue in Philadelphia was the first dedicated public hospital in the city dedicated to such a purpose.  It filled a serious deficiency for the city's Board of Health since previously patients had to be tranferred twelve miles out of the city. Speeches from city worthies marked the ceremony.  (By John Osborne) 
Source Citation: 
J.Thomas Scharf and Thompson Wescott, History of Philadelphia 1609-1884, in three volumes (Philadelphia, PA: L.H. Everts & Co., 1884),
825.Charles Lawrence, History of the Philadelphia Almshouses and Hospitals... (Philadelphia, PA: Charles Lawrence, 1905), 281.

Tabs

How to Cite This Page: "In Philadelphia, the new Municipal Hospital for Contagious Diseases is officially dedicated," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, http://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/node/43933.