Back to top

Falmouth, VA

Stafford County, Virginia, 1857
Falmouth lies on the left bank of the Rappahannock, at the foot of the falls, about one mile above the town of Fredericksburg. A substantial bridge connects it with the Spottsylvania shore. It was incorporated and laid out in 1727, the same year with Fredericksburg, and was at one time the rival of that town. It contains 1 free church, 6 or 7 mercantile stores, 2 extensive flouring mills, and 1 large cotton factory, and a population of about 500. (Historical Collections, 1852)

Tabs

How to Cite This Page: "Falmouth, VA," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, http://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/node/18594.