John Hayward, Gazetteer of the United States of America… (Philadelphia: James L. Gihon, 1854), 335.
Columbia, Pa., Lancaster co. On the E. bank of the Susquehanna River. 30 miles S. E. from Harrisburg. It is connected with Havre de Grace, at the mouth of the Susquehanna, by a canal, and with Philadelphia by railroad. A bridge here crosses the Susquehanna, a mile and 390 feet in length, resting on stone piers. An aqueduct supplies the place with water for domestic and other purposes. The trade with Philadelphia and Baltimore is large in lumber, coal, iron, &c.