Back to top

Burlington, VT

Burlington, Vermont, 1861, artist's impression

BURLINGTON, p. t., seat of justice of Chittenden county, and the chief port of entry of Vermont. It is pleasantly situated on a beautiful bay of Champlain. and commands the principal trade of the county and of the lake. To this point flow a large portion of the products of the Grern Mountain state, and thence they are conveyed by railroad, steamboats, or other vessels, to Troy, Albany, New York, St, John, and other places. Rising from the water by a gentle acclivity, and laid out in regular streets, adorned with gardens and dwellings, Burlington is as conspicuous for its pleasant and healthful location, as for its commercial advantages. The dome of the University of Vermont, which stands on in eminence 250 feet above the lake, commands a most varied, extensive, and delightful prospect, A light-house on Juniper island marks the entrance of the harbor, and a breakwater, erected by the general government, protects it from the west winds of the hike. This village communicates by railroad with Montpelier, Boston, and the intermediate places. Population, in 1810, 1,690: in 1820, -------; in 1830, 3,525; in 1840, 4,271; in 1850, 5,211.  (Fanning's, 1853)

Tabs

How to Cite This Page: "Burlington, VT," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, http://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/node/19685.