Back to top

Newark, NJ

Newark, New Jersey, May 1862, photograph
NEWARK, city, seat of justice of Essex co., N. J., 49 N. E. of Trenton, is situated on the west side of Passaic river, 3 miles from its entrance into Newark bay, 9 miles west of New York, and 215 miles from Washington. It has a pleasant location on level ground, somewhat elevated above the river.... The population in 1810, was 5,000 (in whole township, 8,008); in 1820, 6,507; in 1830 10,953; in 1840, 17,290; in 1850, 38,893. (Fanning's, 1853)

Tabs

How to Cite This Page: "Newark, NJ," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, http://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/node/19999.