Back to top

Lexington, MO

Lexington Landing, Missouri, 1861, artist's impression

LEXINGTON, a thriving post-village, capital of Lafayette county, Missouri, on the right bank of Missouri river, 120 miles by the road W. from Jefferson City. The situation is high and healthy. Lexington has an active trade with the caravans of Santa Fe and the Great Salt lake. The great emigration to California which has passed through the county for several years past, has furnished a market for grain, cattle, and horses at very high prices. Extensive beds of coal are found on the river bank here. Lexington contains, besides the county buildings, a United States land-office, 2 newspaper offices, about 7 churches, and 1 bank. Population in 1850, 2459 ; in 1853, estimated at 4000.  (Baldwin & Thomas, A New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States ... 1854)

LEXINGTON, The county seat of Fayette county, Lexington township, is beautifully situated on the Missouri river, 350 miles from St. Louis, and 125 from Jefferson City.  It was first settled in the year 1837, by James Aull, the post office being established about the same time. The following stage lines run from Lexington; Missouri Stage Company, --- From Lexington to Tipton, via Boonville, 105 miles, Georgetown Stage Line. --- From Lexington to Georgetown, 50 miles.  Warrensburg Stage Line, --- From Lexington to Warrensburg, 35 miles.  Pleasant Hill Stage Line, --- From Lexington to Pleasant Hill, 40 miles.  Hamilton Stage Line, --- From Lexington to Hamilton, 115 miles.  Lexington and Utica Stage Line, --- From Lexington to Utica, 45 miles.
The city contains several fine churches, representing the different religious denominations; two Odd Fellows Lodges, viz.: Harrison Lodge, No. 9 and Orion, No. 45.  The F. and A.M. have the Lafayette Lodge, No. 37; Lexington No. 149, a Chapter and Encampment.  Two newspapers are published here, viz.: Lexington Weekly Express, by Messrs.Julian & Vaughan, issued every Saturday, and the Missouri Expositor, by Mr. Wm. Anderson, issued every Thursday. A branch of the Farmers' Bank of Missouri is located here, capital $600,000.  The chief productions are hemp, wheat, corn and tobacco.  Its timber, oak, walnut and hickory.  Coal is also found in large quantities.  Uncultivated land is worth $5 per acre, and cultivated from $10 to $100.  Population 5,200.  (The Missouri State Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1860)

How to Cite This Page: "Lexington, MO," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, http://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/node/21546.