Back to top

Lincoln County, MO

Lincoln County, Missouri, 1857

LINCOLN COUNTY, situated on the easterly boundary of Missouri, with the Mississippi river on the east. Area, 576 square miles. Seat of justice, Troy. Pop. in 1830, 4,060; in 1840, 7,449; in 1850, 9,421. (Fanning's, 1853)

LINCOLN, a county in the E. part of Missouri, bordering on the Mississippi river, which separates it from Illinois. Area, 580 square miles. It is traversed by Cuivre, or Copper river, and its branches, and also drained by the Eagle fork and Big creek. The surface is undulating and hilly, consisting partly of prairies and partly of woodlands. The soil is generally rich. Indian corn, wheat, oats, hay, tobacco, butter, and pork are the staples. In 1850 the county produced 567,472 bushels of corn; 64,552 of wheat; 70,494 of oats; 695,758 pounds of tobacco, and 119,959 pounds of butter. It contained 8 churches, 1564 pupils attending public schools, and 40 attending academies and other schools. The county is liberally supplied with timber and building stone. Capital, Troy. Population, 9421, of whom 7394 were free, and 2027, slaves. (Baldwin & Thomas, A New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States ... 1854)

Tabs

How to Cite This Page: "Lincoln County, MO," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, http://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/node/28268.