Back to top

Warren County, MO

Warren County, Missouri, 1857

WARREN COUNTY, situated in the east part of Missouri, with Missouri river on the south. Area, 350 square miles. Seat of justice, Warrenton. Pop. in 1840, 4,253; in 1850, 5,860. (Fanning's, 1853)

Warren, a county in the E. part of Missouri, contains about 400 square miles. The Missouri river forms the boundary on the S. S. W., and the county is drained by Peruque, Massies, Smith's, Charette, and Bear creeks. A range of bluffs extends along the river, leaving a fertile bottom, from 1 to 5 miles in width. Indian corn, wheat, oats, tobacco, and butter are the staples. In 1850 this county produced 365,496 bushels of corn; 35,732 of wheat; 52,831 of oats ; 431,000 pounds of tobacco, and 65,907 of butter. It contained 20 churches. Limestone and sandstone, suitable for building, are abundant. Capital, Warrenton. Population, 5868 ; of whom 4925 were free, and 935, slaves.  (Baldwin & Thomas, A New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States ... 1854)

Tabs

How to Cite This Page: "Warren County, MO," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, http://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/node/28318.