Back to top

Pulaski County, MO

Pulaski County, Missouri, 1857

PULASKI COUNTY, situated toward the south part of Missouri. Area, 1,332 square miles. Seat of justice, Waynesville. Pop. in 1840, 6,529; in 1850, 3,998. (Fanning's, 1853)

PULASKI, a county in the S. central part of Missouri, has an area of about 1000 square miles. It is intersected by the Gasconade river flowing in a N. E. direction, and also drained in the S. part by the Ptobidoux and Big Piney fork, and Little Piney creek, which flow into the Gasconade. The surface is hilly ; the soil generally fertile. Indian corn, wheat, oats, grass, cattle, pork, and butter are the staples. In 1850 the county produced 246,430 bushels of corn; 11,352 of wheat; 32,838 of oats, and 54,827 pounds of butter. There were 75 pupils attending public schools. Limestone underlies a part of the land. The county is copiously supplied with water-power. Capital, Waynesville. Pop., 3998; of whom 3885 were free, and 113, slaves.  (Baldwin & Thomas, A New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States ... 1854)

Tabs

How to Cite This Page: "Pulaski County, MO," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, http://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/node/28323.