In the early hours of a Sunday morning, Garibaldi and his men, reinforced with Sicilian volunteers, audaciously entered the capital of Palermo, occupied by around 16,000 Neapolitan royal troops. With the local population joining the barricades, and the royal garrison shelling the city and its people, there were three days of very heavy fighting that isolated occupying troops in several parts of the city. After an uneasy truce, royal troops left Palermo on June 6, 1860. (By John Osborne)
G.M. Trevelyan, Garibaldi and the Thousand, May 1860 (London: Longmans, Green, and Co., 1916), 308-315.