John Hayward, Gazetteer of the United States of America… (Philadelphia: James L. Gihon, 1854), 432.
Litchfield, Ct., c. h. Litchfield co. This town, the Indian Bantam, is elevated, and its surface presents a diversity of hills and valleys. Bantam was first settled in 1720, and incorporated by its present name in 1734. The soil is a gravelly loam, deep, strong, and admirably adapted for grazing. Great Pond is a beautiful sheet of water; it comprises an area of 900 acres, and is the largest pond in the state. The waters of the Naugatuck, Shepung, and Bantam give the town a good water power. Litchfield village, on "Litchfield Hill," is a delightful place. It is situated on an elevated plain, surrounded by interesting scenery, and affords extensive prospects. In the W. part of the town, Mount Tom rears a front of 700 feet above the Naugatuck, presenting a panoramic landscape of great beauty and vast extent. Near this town is a mineral spring "which is saturated with iron and sulphur." A law school of great respectability was established in this town, by the Hon. Tapping Reeve, in 1784. 30 miles W. from Hartford.