John Hayward, Gazetteer of the United States of America… (Philadelphia: James L. Gihon, 1854), 285.
Binghampton, N. Y., c. h. Broome co. At the junction of the Chenango River with the Susquehanna. 145 miles S. W. from Albany, and 225 miles by the Erie Railroad, N.W. from New York. It belongs to the township of Chenarngo, and was incorporated as a village in 1813. The Chenango Canal runs northerly from this place, and unites with the Erie Canal at Utica. The great Erie Railroad passes through it, and extends to Dunkirk, on Lake Erie, 244 miles W. It is also the head of boat navigation on the Susquehanna River. These various facilities afford to this flourishing place peculiar advantages for business. No place in the state, perhaps, at present, exceeds this in rapid and permanent growth; and it must become an important inland town. Binghampton is surrounded by a rich agricultural and and grazing country, which here finds a ready market for its abundant products. There is likewise an extensive water power on the Chenango, which is employed for manufacturing and mechanical purposes. Steam, also, is extensively used. There are large flouring mills, plaster mills, tanneries, cloth-dressing establishments, and a variety of other manufacturing operations. The Erie Railroad Company have established here a large machine shop and car factory. A bridge here crosses the Susquehanna, and another the Chenango. The place, which was formerly called Chenango Point, received its present name in honor of William Bingham, Esq. of Philadelphia, a respected benefactor of the village in its infant state.