John Hayward, Gazetteer of the United States of America… (Philadelphia: James L. Gihon, 1854), 565.
Sandwich, Ms., Barnstable co. This town was granted to Edmund Freeman and others in 1637. Its Indian name was Shawme. Sandwich is situated on the shoulder of Cape Cod, and although much of the soil is thin and sandy, yet there is not a little of an excellent quality. It is watered by a number of streams, which afford a good water power, and by numerous ponds, some of which are large, affording a variety of excellent fish. The forests afford an abundance of deer. Sandwich has a good harbor within the cape, and navigable accommodations in Buzzard's Bay. There are a number of flourishing villages in the town. There are in this town several branches of manufacture, but the most important is that of the New England Glass Company, who manufacture annually about $300,000 in value, of glass, equal in quality, if not superior, to any manufactured in this country. 63 miles S. E. from Boston by the Cape Cod Branch Railroad, and 12 N. W. from Barnstable.