Henry Howe, Historical Collections of Virginia… (Charleston, SC: William R. Babcock, 1852), 281.
Gloucester, the county-seat, lies immediately opposite Yorktown, on the N. side of York River. It is a small, decayed village, containing only a few dwellings. During the siege of York, it was one of the outposts of Cornwallis, and the scene of some minor military operations. There exist remains of redoubts thrown up at that time. The earliest settlers in the co. were from Gloucestershire in England — who not only transferred the names of places, but the streams also; hence they have here their Severn, and other rivers, and local denominations.