Henry Howe, Historical Collections of Virginia… (Charleston, SC: William R. Babcock, 1852), 474.
SPOTSYLVANIA was formed in 1720, from Essex, King William, and King and Queen, and named from Alexander Spotswood, then governor of Virginia. It is 23 miles long, and 17 wide. It is drained by head branches of the North Anna and Mattapony, and the Rappahannock forms its northern boundary. The soil on the streams is fine; but on the ridges, the land, originally thin, has much deteriorated by the wretched system of agriculture introduced by the first settlers, and long persisted in by their descendants. Gold has been found in the county, and at present it is obtained in considerable quantities. Pop. in 1840, whites 6,787, slaves 7,590; total, 15,161. There are several small places in the county, though none of much note, except the city of Fredericksburg. The C. H. is situated about the centre of the county, on the river Po.