John Hayward, Gazetteer of the United States of America… (Philadelphia: James L. Gihon, 1854), 380-381.
Gettysburg, Pa., seat of justice of Adams co. 35 miles E. N. E. from Harrisburg, 52 N. W. from Baltimore, and 114 W. from Philadelphia. It is situated on elevated ground, in the midst of a fertile and well-cultivated country, and at the intersection of several important turnpike roads. It is a plain town, but neatly and well built. The public buildings, besides the usual county buildings, are a bank, an academy, the edifices of the Pennsylvania College, and of the theological seminary of the German Lutheran church, and churches of the Presbyterian, Lutheran, Seceders', and Methodist denominations. These buildings are all of brick, except the county prison. Considerable business is done here in the various mechanical pursuits. The place was formerly celebrated for the manufacture of carriages of all kinds, but this branch of business has very much declined with the changes in the mode of travelling. For an account of the college and theological seminary at Gettysburg, see Colleges.