Confederate troops abandon Munson's Hill, overlooking Washington, DC

Munson's Hill, overlooking Washington, had been in Confederate possession for months and had harbored sharpshooters, a massive Confederate flag visible to the city, and what appeared to be an impressive array of cannon.  Confederate troops abandoned the hill in the morning and when Union troops advanced they found, to the amusement of the press in following days, that the "cannon" were actually painted tree trunks, so-called "Quaker Guns."  (By John Osborne)
Source Citation
Chronicles of the Great Rebellion Against the United States of America (Philadelphia, PA: A. Winch, 1867), 13.
 Frank Moore, ed., The Rebellion Record: A Diary of American Events, with Documents, Narratives, Illustrative Incidents, Poetry, Etc. (New York: G.P.Putnam, 1861), III: 37.
Date Certainty
How to Cite This Page: "Confederate troops abandon Munson's Hill, overlooking Washington, DC," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College,