Liberty, MO

LIBERTY, a post-village, capital of Clay county, Missouri, is situated about 5 miles N. from the Missouri river, about 200 miles by the river above Jefferson City. The situation is healthy and the water is good. The town contains a handsome brick court house, about 5 churches, 2 academies, and a newspaper office. It is surrounded by a highly productive farming district, which abounds in stone coal and fine limestone. Many horses, cattle, and swine are also exported. Population in 1853, estimated at 1500. (Baldwin & Thomas, A New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States ... 1854)

Place Unit Type
City or Town
Containing Unit
How to Cite This Page: "Liberty, MO," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, https://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/node/45235.