Back to top

Dinwiddie County, VA

Dinwiddie County, Virginia, 1857
DINWIDDIE was formed in 1752, from Prince George, and named from Robert Dinwiddie, governor of Va. from 1752 to 1758. The surface is rolling, and its form hexagonal, with a diameter of about 28 miles. The Appomattox runs on its N., the Nottaway on its S. boundary, and the great southern railroad through its eastern portion. Pop. 1830, 21,901; 1840, whites 9,847, slaves 9,947, free colored 2,764 ; total, 22,558. The court-house is centrally situated upon a branch of the Nottaway. (Historical Collections, 1852)

Tabs

How to Cite This Page: "Dinwiddie County, VA," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, http://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/node/14469.