St. Landry Parish, LA

SAINT LANDRE PARISH, situated toward the south part of Louisiana, with Atchafalaya river on the east. Area, 2,000 square miles. Face of the country, uneven, subsiding toward the south into a plain; soil, generally sterile. Seat of justice, Opelousas Pop. in 1820, 10,085; in 1830, 12,591; in 1840, 15,233; in 1850, 22,353. (Fanning's, 1853)
Place Unit Type
County
Containing Unit
Name Type
Grand Coteau, LA City or Town
Opelousas, LA City or Town
Washington, LA City or Town
How to Cite This Page: "St. Landry Parish, LA," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, https://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/index.php/node/20173.