Henry Howe, Historical Collections of Virginia… (Charleston, SC: William R. Babcock, 1852), 484.
STAFFORD was formed in 1675, from Westmoreland. Its length is 20, mean width 12 miles. The Rappahannock runs on its SW. border, the Potomac on its E. boundary; the rail-road from Fredericksburg to the Potomac runs through it. On the streams there is considerable good land, elsewhere the soil is generally worn out by injudicious agriculture. Gold exists in the county. Pop. in 1840, whites 4,489, slaves 3,596, free colored 369; total 8,454.