Philadelphia, MO

PHILADELPHIA, A post village of Marion county, 13 miles from Palmyra, the county seat; was first settled by Wm. Wildraw in 1830, and contains three churches, viz: Baptist, Presbyterian, and Methodist; distance to St. Louis 150 miles, to Jefferson City 80.  There is a stage route to Memphis, 15 miles.  The chief products are corn, wheat, oats, and tobacco.  Timber, oak, hickory, ash, and linn.  Land is worth from $10 to $20 per acre.  Population 300,  (The Missouri State Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1860)

Place Unit Type
City or Town
Containing Unit
How to Cite This Page: "Philadelphia, MO," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, https://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/node/21544.