Back to top

Reading, Pennsylvania militia artillery unit called to service arrives in Harrisburg

Reading, Pennsylvania, 1840
04/16/1861
At six p.m. the 105 men of the Ringgold Light Artillery, a Reading, Pennsylvania militia unit, founded in 1850 and named for the Mexican War artillery hero Samuel Ringgold, left their home city by rail.  They arrived in Harrisburg two hours later and were quartered at the Herr Hotel.  They were one of several militia companies Governor Curtin had called to be prepared for action several days before.  These units left for Washington, DC on April 18, 1861, via Baltimore.  (By John Osborne)
Source Citation: 
Nicholas Fognano, Jr., "The Ringgold Light Artillery of Reading," Historical Review of Berks County, Pennsylvania, Fall 1977.

Tabs

How to Cite This Page: "Reading, Pennsylvania militia artillery unit called to service arrives in Harrisburg," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, http://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/node/36019.