Back to top

Baltimore, MD

Baltimore, 1860, zoomable map

Baltimore, Md. City, port of entry, and seat of justice of Baltimore co. Situated on the Patapsco River, about 14 miles from its entrance into Chesapeake Bay, and about 200 miles from the ocean by ship channel. It lies 40 miles N. E. from Washington, and 97 S. W. from Philadelphia. The population in 1790 was 13,503; in 1800, 26,514; in 1810, 35,583; in 1820, 62,738; in 1830, 80,625; in 1840, 102,313; in 1850, 169,012. (Gazetteer of the United States of America, 1854)

Tabs

How to Cite This Page: "Baltimore, MD," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, http://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/node/11856.