Cleveland, 0. City and port of entry and c. h. Cuyahoga co. On Lake Erie, at the mouth of Cuyahoga River. It derives its name from General Moses Cleveland, an agent of the Connecticut land company, who accompanied the first surveying party to the Connecticut Reserve, and under whose direction the town was first surveyed in 1796. The Indian title to the land it occupies had been extinguished two years before; but on the opposite side of the Cuyahoga River the Indians retained their title till 1805. Cleveland was incorporated as a village in 1814, and as a city in 1836. Population in 1799, one family; in 1825, about 500; in 1830, 1000; in 1840, 6071; in 1850, 17,054. It is 130 miles N. W. from Pittsburg, 146 N. E. from Columbus, 200 S. W. from Buffalo, 130 E. from Detroit. It is situated on a gravelly plain, elevated about 80 feet above the lake, of which it has a commanding prospect. The streets, which cross each other at right angles, are 80 feet wide, and Main Street 120. The location is dry and healthy, and there are many fine buildings. Near the centre is a public square of 10 acres, neatly enclosed and shaded with trees. The harbor at the mouth of the Cuyahoga, since its improvement, by piers on each side extending into the water, is one of the best on Lake Erie, and its position at the northern terminus of the Ohio Canal, and the fertile country and enterprising population by which it is surrounded, have given it a very rapid growth, which as yet is but just commencing. It is already the second commercial town in Ohio, and bids fair even to rival Cincinnati. Besides its intercourse with the interior of the state by the Ohio Canal, and its extensive lake commerce, it communicates by the Ohio and Pennsylvania Canal with Pittsburg. and by the New York and Welland Canals with the Atlantic coast. To these facilities for transportation have lately been added a system of railroads, affording communication with Cincinnati, Detroit, Pittsburg, and Buffalo, and through these two latter places with Philadelphia, New York, and Boston. Ohio City, on the opposite side of the Cuyahoga, is a growing suburb.